This weekend we spent most of our time in the garden. On Saturday we spent all day weeding. Weeding is not really a fun part of gardening but it is a necessary evil. We do mulch most of our garden beds and that keeps down the weeds but there was a section at the very front of our front garden that required serious work.
On Sunday we then had the benefit of the more enjoyable part of gardening when you choose your plants and put them in the garden. We decided to buy natives to replace the agapanthus that I had taken out recently. One of the plants I wanted to buy was a Banksia coccinea
but was unable to find one at the four nurseries we visited. We certainly didn’t come away empty handed and these are the plants we have bought and put in the front garden.
A bit difficult to tell what they are from that photo as the plants are so small but here are the plant labels.
This banksia is a groundcover as we already have a banksia tree in the back garden.
We already have a kunzea but couldn’t resist this one.
We also have a couple of bottlebrushes in the garden but this one is a compact form.
The tea tree was tube stock so it will be a few years before it reaches a reasonable size.
The myrtle was a ground cover.
The dryandra was bought to add to my cut flower shrubs. I love having flowers in the house but it will be a couple of years before this shrub reaches the size to cut the blooms.
Another ground cover, this time a kunzea.We spent a bit of money but it was well worth while to add colour to the garden and to attract the birds. Much better than the agapanthus!