At long last I have made a cover for my overlocker, but not without errors and frustration on my part.
Firstly I freehand quilted the fabric I was going to use.
I had drafted a simple pattern for the cover, just two sides and a strip for over the top. My mistake was that I should have done the strip in two pieces because I have ended up with the picture on the fabric being upside down on the front of the cover
I could have had it the other way round if I had attached the first side correctly but as I had overlocked the seam before I noticed my mistake I couldn’t undo the seam. I was angry with myself for having made such a basic mistake.
If I had made the strip over the top in two pieces, with a seam on the top, I could have had the picture of the fabric the correct way up on both the front and the back.
I could always store the machine on my bench with the back of the cover facing the front, that way the picture on the fabric is the right way up.
Oh well, I will know next time, not that I am likely to be making another overlocker cover.
On a positive note, I was happy with the piping that I used on the cover. I had no piping cord but my husband suggested I use some nylon rope he had in the shed. It proved to be just right as it gave the cover some stiffness.