This is matching the yoke to the tissue pattern, lining up the sleeve seams and centre backs before sewing on the bias neckband.
I have finally finished the smocked dress.
I bought a covered button kit from Spotlight so I could make the buttons to finish off the dress as specified in the Vogue pattern. Covered buttons have changed since I last bought any, you no longer are required to sew around the circle to gather the fabric. (In hindsight maybe I just bought the wrong sort of cover buttons but they were the only ones available at Spotlight.) The instructions with the buttons said to use a double layer of fabric if the fabric was fine so I did just that but the back wouldn’t stay on the button. I then tried with interfacing on the back of the fabric and that didn’t work either. Anyway I persevered and eventually managed to get the backing to stay on the button, at least I thought I had. I sewed four of the six buttons onto the dress and was just about to sew on the fifth button when I noticed that one of the covers had come off. I then tried to undo the other buttons and they also fell off the backing. I was so annoyed. I have since written to Birch Creative to let them know of the issues I had. I hope I hear something back from them.