We have two vegetable garden beds and they have not been producing as well as they should and we had finally decided that the reason for that is the invasion of roots from the pittosporum hedge.
I have completely dug up one bed and am now in the process of doing the same to the second bed. It has taken a great deal of hard work to dig down deep and remove all the offending roots. It is amazing that the roots have penetrated all the way along the bed from the hedge to the other end. It was a miracle that anything had managed to grow at all although weeds seem to have no difficulty.
You can see from this shot that I am about half way along the second bed so I should get it finished in another day.
I have now completed the digging and have managed to get some seedlings and seeds planted. I also transplated some of my strawberry plants. I reduced the number of plants by about half. I also transplanted the parsley and it seems to be doing fine. Those are peas under the netting as we have an issue with bower birds eating our plants.