I forgot to put my brain into gear. . . .

on

I recently bought a pattern when I was in Stitches ‘n Things buying some buttons for a shirt I was making.  The pattern I bought is for a beanie but using Brioche stitch.

The wool I chose to use is Bellissimo St George which is a lovely soft woo/cotton mix.

The reason I say I forgot to put my brain into gear is the issues I had when I started to knit this project.  I thought I would be smart and do the beanie on a circular needle, it means you don’t have a joining seam.  That was my intention as I cast on the required 90 stitches and proceeded with the pattern.  I did two rounds and thought that it wasn’t looking right and so unraveled it and started again.  This time I did five rounds and again it was looking nothing like the pattern. I unraveled it and started again.  Why I didn’t look at the pattern as to why it wasn’t looking right I have no idea.  Brain fade!  Again it was hopeless so I stopped and thought about it and realised that because I was working in the round the pattern wasn’t working out as I wasn’t going right side, wrong side with each row of pattern.  I should have adapted the pattern but had forgotten to do so.

Now those of you who have knitted anything using Brioche stitch will know that the pattern is complicated

so it would be impossible for me with my amateur skills to adapt the pattern so I just unraveled it again and went to using two needles.  Bingo! The knitting now looks like the pattern.  I am up to row 10.

I did make reference to my Brioche book when I started this project but didn’t stop to think of the implications of doing the beanie in the round.

I had knitted two garments in the round using Brioche stitch but it was more like Fisherman’s rib and not as complicated as this pattern.

Even though I got the initial rib of the beanie done I then had an issue later in the pattern when I dropped a stitch and there was no way I could pick it up without undoing the row and then I couldn’t pick the stitches up so had to unravel back to the end of the rib. It meant I had to unravel about 5cm of work but I eventually picked up the stitches again. I just became so determined not to let it get the better of me.  I did eventually get the beanie finished.  I love it when I learn something new.

 

One Comment Add yours

  1. Kate says:

    Love it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.