Something lacy. . . .

On my most recent visit to our younger daughter she brought out some knitting that she had started a while ago but found that she no longer has the time to continue.  I said I would be happy to knit it for her but my knitting tension is different to hers so it meant I had to unravel the bit of knitting that she had done.

I have now got started on the knitting which is from Patons Booklet 1225.

The shrug is knitted in a beautiful teal colour but unfortunately in my photos the colour doesn’t show well in the close-up shot.

I am hoping there will be enough wool as I have no idea where we would find the same wool if more is needed.

I am enjoying doing the lacy part, not so much the endless ribbing.

Recycle, reuse Bananas in Pyjamas

Bananas in Pyjamas have been a feature of Australian television for many, many years. I think the song was first heard around 1972.  If you haven’t heard of them, here is the original stair descent on Play School on ABC television.

Since that time the bananas have had a series of their own and a stage show as well.

Bananas in pyjamas.  Her delight at having these pyjamas is obvious.  The photo reminded me of Christmas when her elder sisters wore the same pyjamas several years ago.  Apparently the pyjamas have been passed on to the cousins and then they came back again when our granddaughter was the size for wearing them.

There was B1 and B2 .

One of the original bananas with some of the Playschool hosts.You can read a little about the composer of the song which was first used by Playschool in 1973.

Two contrasting books. . . .

The first book is one that I acquired from my reading group.

I read it over two days.  It was an excellent read and I highly recommend it.

“Eleanor leads a simple life.  She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend.

Eleanor Oliphant is happy.  Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled existence.  Except, sometimes, everything. . . . .”

When I started reading I thought Eleanor was just a bit of a loner with no friends and no social life but as the story progressed I found there was so much more to it.  There was the constant need to find our what had happened in her past and why her mother was calling once a week. We don’t really find out until the very end of the story and that is what keeps you reading.  It is a funny, sad and uplifting story and it is a gentle reminder that we all need a little bit of kindness in our lives.

Do read it, you will not be disappointed.

My second book is completely different with a fair bit of violence within the story.

From this novel I learned something I never knew: that Ireland had sheltered high level Nazis after WWII and that some Bretons of the French province of Breton (Brittany,) had aligned themselves with the Germans after being promised that they would be given autonomy when the Germans won. The Ratlines are the escape routes set up by the Nazis.

In 1963 in Ireland, just before President Kennedy is due to visit, someone is killing off the Nazis that have escaped to Ireland after the war. The main character, Ryan, is ordered to investigate the killings but at the same time protect one of Hitler’s commandos who is now living in Ireland. There is double crossing within the plot and plenty of action.



Another dad trick. . . . .

One of the tricks my dad used to do was to make a mouse from a handkerchief.  He then used to make the mouse jump up his arm.  It provided lots of fun for us as children and for his grandchildren.

Here is how you can do it for your children.

Hello world!

Apparently yesterday was seven years since I wrote my first blog post.  I used to post almost every day but now I am nowhere nearly as regular as that but I still do post when I feel I have something worth writing about.

Here is my first blog post.

Gippsland Granny

Hi to those of you have stumbled upon this blog.  I am attempting to keep pace with technology as I don’t want to be left behind in this world!  What am I going to blog about?  Well at this stage I am unsure.  I think it will probably cover a variety of topics from retired life in Gippsland to my thoughts on books, knitting, framing, sewing etc.

I will start with my thoughts on how I have found the process of setting up this blog.  I will admit that if I had not had some experience of working with a program for students in high school to access and submit work set by teachers, I would have found this process today quite daunting.  I still profess that it has not been plain sailing to start up but I will persevere and hopefully become adept with the process by using it…

View original post 1 more word

Cool Uncle Tricks: How to Detach Your Thumb — The Art of Manliness


When I saw this I thought of my dad.  No doubt there are many others who have a dad that did the same trick.

An essential part of being an awesome uncle is having a repertoire of tricks and jokes that will amaze your nieces and nephews, and crack them up. So from time to time we’ll be offering you current and future uncles out there a tutorial on some gags that’ll have them thinking you’re the coolest dude in the world. Check out all…

via Cool Uncle Tricks: How to Detach Your Thumb — The Art of Manliness