A beautiful find in the garden

I was out in the front garden this afternoon when I spied something on one of the rose bushes.  I initially thought someone had somehow attached a brooch to the rose bush but on closer inspection I discovered it was a beautiful moth.

When I looked closely at the moth I commented to my husband that it looked as though it was embroidery.

My husband did some searching on the internet and discovered that it is a Coprosma Hawk Moth.  Usually it is found on the east coast of Australia but only as far south as Sydney so this one was certainly out of that range.  It is the first time we have seen this moth.

Spring has sprung in Metung

I was out for a walk yesterday and this lovely sight was off the boardwalk. Very protective parents as they moved the cygnets under the boardwalk for protection.

We are so lucky to live where we live here in East Gippsland. It will be great when our family can visit us again once the lockdown is eased.

I should also mention that the mosquitoes are here in force. Not little ones either.

An old cookbook in our collection

The Presbyterian Cookery Book of Good and Tried Recipes was bought in 1975, the year we were married. I am not sure if it was the tartan on the cover that prompted the purchase or the fact that it was Presbyterian based or maybe even the recommendations on the back of the book?

Anyway the book has remained unused on our shelves for many years since it was last opened but I had cause to refer to it when I wanted a scone recipe without lemonade as I had no lemonade on hand for my usual recipe.

This was the recipe I used but only after much discussion with my husband about what quantity a gill was.

Fortunately there was a page at the back of the book that provided some information but my husband and I then had a discussion about the number of ounces in a pint.  There is a difference in the American pint and the UK pint so not quite sure what the Australian version was. I think it depends on the jug you use, where it was made I guess.

I ended up using tablespoons and the scones turned out fine.

As an aside I love the emergency measures at the bottom of the page.  Fine if you work in the Imperial system but Australian measurements are metric.

Going back to the actual benefits of this cookery book one would be influenced by the comments on the back of the book?  Well worth a read.

An escape before stage 3 again

I managed to get away for a weekend of bike riding with the Bike Chicks.  We were fortunate to get a trip as we are in an area of Victoria with no active cases of COVID19 and travel was permitted within Victoria outdside the exclusion zone of metropolitan Melbourne. We had booked a stay at a magnificent farmhouse outside Yarram.

We had wonderful weather while we were away and although mask wearing wasn’t compulsory until the following Monday we were equipped for when we visited a coffee shop in Yarram.

During the weekend we had organised to make some masks for the family of one of us as they had no sewing machine and wanted to make some masks.  With a combined effort we managed to produce eight masks with only the elastic to be finished off when the size was determined.

The pattern we used was from  Sartor.cz  as I had made some masks using this pattern at home before we went away for the weekend.  The fabric was from my stash of left over quilting fabric.

We rode part of the Great Southern Rail Trail and the trail from our air b&b outside Yarram to Port Albert.  Unfortunately the trail to Port Albert is incomplete at this stage so we didn’t ride as far as we had anticipated.

Yarram is noted for its wonderful display of murals throughout the town.  This one in on an old pub.

The Great Southern Rail Trail is poorly signposted at the Port Welshpool end so we had a couple of wrong turnings before eventually getting onto the trail.

We rode from Port Welshpool to Toora and return. We had lunch in the beer garden at the pub in Toora.

This area of Gippsland is another beautiful part of the country.  We spent some time on our first day visiting Tarra Bulga National Park. Here are just a few shots of the park.

It goes without saying that we ate and drank well while we were away. All home cooking which we had planned before our trip.  This was just one night’s meal.

An absolutely fantastic weekend and enough to keep me going through this next phase of Stage 3.

 

What animal is that?

This is the reverse of a jumper I finished recently.  My daughter had specifically asked if I would like to knit this for her so I jumped at the chance.

The reverse shows you how untidy the back of the item is but fortunately the front looks much better.

I tried it on to see how it looked before sending it to my daughter.

I think she was happy with the finished result.

The pattern was from this publication.

It was good to try a new type of knitting and take me out of my comfort zone.  I certainly learned a few new things.

I don’t think I will be doing another Intarsia project soon.

Some renovation required

I forgot to take a picture before I started taking off the old brushwood on this archway but now that I have, you can see where paint is required before I put on new brushwood.  When I painted originally the brushwood was attached to the wood so I could only paint up as far as the brushwood, now I have the opportunity to paint the whole thing.

The photo above lets you see how little of the brushwood was left on the arch.  It has gradually worn away and now it is certainly time for some new brushwood.

The blind on the righthand side is to screen out the late afternoon sun when we are sitting at the outdoor dining table in summer.

It will be great to get the new brushwood up.  I have done the painting, now I just need to cut the brushwood to fit and then install it.  Hopefully I will be able to show you a finished project fairly soon.