More left-over wool items

My brother-in-law asked me to knit some covers for his golf clubs as he knew I was trying to use up small amounts of wool.  I had no idea that you could find patterns for golf club covers but a search on Ravelry came up with many different patterns.

I decided to make the pattern that was available on Purl So Ho.

I have completed two of the covers and am now on the third.

I am enjoying making these as the pattern is very easy.

 

A bit of frogging took place.

I knitted this jumper many, many years ago and the time has come for it to be recycled.

The pattern was knitted at a time when things were loose and bulky and that look is definitely not in anymore.

The jumper looks dirty in the photo but it was just shadows. The colour is also not true as it is a denim blue colour.

I have now frogged the jumper and just need to wash it in skeins and then start another project.

I am not sure what I will knit.  Perhaps I will use the wool as the border for the crocheted hexagon rug I plan to make with all my left over bits of wool.

More knitting to use up some left over wool

I have been trying to get rid of some of the numerous left over balls of wool that I have stashed in boxes.  I am slowly diminishing the pile but there is still a way to go.  I think I will need to make a crocheted rug with the small bits of wool that I have. I would like to do one with hexagons rather than squares and I have seen some lovely examples on Pinterest.

Petals to Picots give instructions for joining the hexagons as you go.

Meet Me at Mikes shows you how to crochet a hexagon in ten minutes.

My difficulty would be that I would need to buy wool for the last round of the hexagon and the joining.  I guess I would be getting rid of scraps and I would only buy enough wool to make the rug.

In the meantime I have made a  hot water bottle cover.I also made a crocheted chevron rug for my son but will put that in another post after I have blocked the rug.

 

Slippers or bedsocks?

I have been trying to make use of the many left over scraps of wool that I am reluctant to take to the thrift shop.  I decided to look for some patterns that would make use of small quantities of wool and this is the first result.  The yellow wool is from my daughter and the mixed colour on the band is left over from something else I knitted a long time ago.  I think it might have been fingerless gloves.

I was happy with how these turned out but the greyish wool is very fragile and I don’t think the soles of the slippers will be very hard wearing.  I will need to use a stronger wool from my left overs when I knit another pair.

 

Gifted wool

My elder daughter had given me some wool that she knew she didn’t have time to use and asked if I would be able to use it.  Of course I grabbed the opportunity and have now just finished that project.

The wool was Debbie Bliss Roma and it is a super chunky weight.  I had five balls of wool so had to find a pattern that would fit that.

I located a pattern on Ravelry and thought it would suit our granddaughter.

You can see how chunky the wool is.  I had a ball left over so made a simple cowl with the remainder.

A finally finished project

Thanks to my late nights watching the World Cup Cricket I have managed to get my Shetland wool project finished.I am pleased with the finished product.  I made the sleeves longer because usually when I buy a jumper or cardigan the sleeves are too short – these are just right.

This is when I was blocking the cardigan after washing it.  I have chosen not to do buttons and buttonholes because I very rarely close a cardigan.

I did have issues with the button band and chose to undo one band and redo it after I found it had wrinkles in it.

This is the first time I have done steeking since I made a jumper way back in the sixties.  I was a teenager then and had no fear about cutting up my knitting.  I must admit I was rather hesitant this time.  I followed Kate Davies instructions on how to steek and I was delighted with the finished result. Kate has four posts on how to steek and it made the process easy to follow.

A bit blurred but you can see where I have cut the yoke. Next time I will be more careful about the wool colour used in the actual steek stitches.

I was just randomly carrying the wool on the steek but apparently I should have been alternating the colours so there are columns of colour.

Next time.