My first attempt at making dishcloths

I have been trying to eliminate my stash of wool and part of that stash is cotton, not wool.  The cotton is left over from garments I have made for grandchildren and my daughters.

I did a quick search on the internet and found a couple of free patterns for cotton dishcloths.  Two of the patterns are knitted and the third is crocheted.

I have made the two knitted dishcloths but have yet to make the crocheted one.

I like this one the best.  Very easy to do as it is knitted on the diagonal.

I made a third dishcloth but unfortunately didn’t have enought of the one colour so there is a different coloured corner to this one.

I had a project in mind.

I bought two pieces of fabric two week ago as it is a while since I last did any sewing.  I had a project in mind but it needed to wait until I got back from my bike ride in Melbourne.

I bought flannel to make a couple of work shirts for our granddaughter.  The pattern can be made with a hood but I decided just to keep it as a shirt.

I also decided to go with the pocket and front band cut on the bias just to change things up a bit.

I have the second shirt cut out so it should get done on the weekend.  I hope they fit.

 

 

More left-over wool items

My brother-in-law asked me to knit some covers for his golf clubs as he knew I was trying to use up small amounts of wool.  I had no idea that you could find patterns for golf club covers but a search on Ravelry came up with many different patterns.

I decided to make the pattern that was available on Purl So Ho.

I have completed two of the covers and am now on the third.

I am enjoying making these as the pattern is very easy.

 

A bit of frogging took place.

I knitted this jumper many, many years ago and the time has come for it to be recycled.

The pattern was knitted at a time when things were loose and bulky and that look is definitely not in anymore.

The jumper looks dirty in the photo but it was just shadows. The colour is also not true as it is a denim blue colour.

I have now frogged the jumper and just need to wash it in skeins and then start another project.

I am not sure what I will knit.  Perhaps I will use the wool as the border for the crocheted hexagon rug I plan to make with all my left over bits of wool.

Strips of colour or chevrons

A while ago I crocheted a chevron rug for my daughter.  I used wool that I had frogged from a jumper and then bought the contrasting wool.

I was delighted when my son said he would be happy if I made him a lap rug using up scraps of wool.  He normally doesn’t ask for me to knit anything for him so I jumped at this idea.  I decided I would crochet a chevron rug as it is easy to do, no thinking required while I watch the cricket.

As soon as I arrived home I checked out the pile of left-over wool and pulled out a few colours that I thought would go together ok.

I was sorting through my 8ply box but when I finished the rug I found that I had inadvertently put in some wool that was not 8ply.  I don’t think it makes too much of a difference and the finished rug looks ok.

The pale grey is the non 8ply. You can see that the chevron is narrower.

I am happy with the result.

A finally finished project

Thanks to my late nights watching the World Cup Cricket I have managed to get my Shetland wool project finished.I am pleased with the finished product.  I made the sleeves longer because usually when I buy a jumper or cardigan the sleeves are too short – these are just right.

This is when I was blocking the cardigan after washing it.  I have chosen not to do buttons and buttonholes because I very rarely close a cardigan.

I did have issues with the button band and chose to undo one band and redo it after I found it had wrinkles in it.

This is the first time I have done steeking since I made a jumper way back in the sixties.  I was a teenager then and had no fear about cutting up my knitting.  I must admit I was rather hesitant this time.  I followed Kate Davies instructions on how to steek and I was delighted with the finished result. Kate has four posts on how to steek and it made the process easy to follow.

A bit blurred but you can see where I have cut the yoke. Next time I will be more careful about the wool colour used in the actual steek stitches.

I was just randomly carrying the wool on the steek but apparently I should have been alternating the colours so there are columns of colour.

Next time.