Some creative projects that have taken place.

Since last posting before Christmas and the following bushfires I have managed to do a little bit of creating.  I have been knitting socks as they are an easily transported activity that doesn’t take up much room as it is one ball of wool and four needles.

I have managed to complete two pairs of socks and I have two more balls left to use.

I also, before Christmas, knitted a beanie for my sister.  The wool was possum wool that I bought when we were in New Zealand.

 

Experience is a great teacher.

Recently I posted about a beanie I made using brioche stitch. You can find the post here.

I had entitled the post “I forgot to put my brain into gear.” I had lots of issues when I knitted that particular beanie but eventually it turned out fine.  I saw some beautiful wool recently when I visited our local wool shop, Stitches ‘n’ Things in Lakes Entrance, and thought I should try my hand at the same beanie but having a bit of experience behind me.

I am pleased to say that I had no problems whatsoever this time.

This is before I started the decreases.  You can see the pattern better when it is flat.

Here is the finished article.

The wool is extremely soft but I am a bit worried that it is going to pill.  It already looks as though it will.

Now this one required little concentration

After my difficult time with the last beanie I knitted I thought I should remind myself that I could knit a beanie without a great deal of trouble.  I went back to a pattern that I had knitted a couple of times before and used up some wool that I had in my stash.  This is the end result and was knitted while I watched the cricket.

The pattern is a free one and you can find it here. It is a lovely warm beanie as it is double thickness over the ears.

I forgot to put my brain into gear. . . .

I recently bought a pattern when I was in Stitches ‘n Things buying some buttons for a shirt I was making.  The pattern I bought is for a beanie but using Brioche stitch.

The wool I chose to use is Bellissimo St George which is a lovely soft woo/cotton mix.

The reason I say I forgot to put my brain into gear is the issues I had when I started to knit this project.  I thought I would be smart and do the beanie on a circular needle, it means you don’t have a joining seam.  That was my intention as I cast on the required 90 stitches and proceeded with the pattern.  I did two rounds and thought that it wasn’t looking right and so unraveled it and started again.  This time I did five rounds and again it was looking nothing like the pattern. I unraveled it and started again.  Why I didn’t look at the pattern as to why it wasn’t looking right I have no idea.  Brain fade!  Again it was hopeless so I stopped and thought about it and realised that because I was working in the round the pattern wasn’t working out as I wasn’t going right side, wrong side with each row of pattern.  I should have adapted the pattern but had forgotten to do so.

Now those of you who have knitted anything using Brioche stitch will know that the pattern is complicated

so it would be impossible for me with my amateur skills to adapt the pattern so I just unraveled it again and went to using two needles.  Bingo! The knitting now looks like the pattern.  I am up to row 10.

I did make reference to my Brioche book when I started this project but didn’t stop to think of the implications of doing the beanie in the round.

I had knitted two garments in the round using Brioche stitch but it was more like Fisherman’s rib and not as complicated as this pattern.

Even though I got the initial rib of the beanie done I then had an issue later in the pattern when I dropped a stitch and there was no way I could pick it up without undoing the row and then I couldn’t pick the stitches up so had to unravel back to the end of the rib. It meant I had to unravel about 5cm of work but I eventually picked up the stitches again. I just became so determined not to let it get the better of me.  I did eventually get the beanie finished.  I love it when I learn something new.

 

Crazy tea cosies

I borrowed some books from the library recently and one of them was this one: Really Wild Tea Cosies by Loani Prior.

As you can see from the cover the cosies really are wild.  I decided I would give one of the more sedate cosies a try.  The pattern said it was ‘easy peasy ‘ and could be done in a night.  Well she was right about it being easy but the construction of the cubes caused a bit of an issue with me.  It was through my carelessness in snipping the joining wool and thus exploding the cube!  I had to make a new cube but it was all good practice.  Luckily for me I had this wonderful gadget that my elder daughter had given me.

Previously I have used circles of cardboard to make pompoms but this is so much quicker.

You wind the wool around the yellow parts and then fold them into the centre.  You then just make the pompom as you would with the cardboard circles.  Trimming to a cube shape proved to be a trial for me.

You might be wondering why I would need cubes for a tea cosy.  Well the tea cosy I made was called “Short black with two”.

I didn’t have any black wool so it has been knitted in a dark grey. You can see from the book illustration below that my cubes are a bit too big.  I will need to do some trimming!

While I was knitting I remembered that I had seen some really wild beanies at Floriade in Canberra one year.  I have included a few photos of those for your enjoyment.