A shirt from an old pattern I had used in times long gone

I had bought this fabric when I bought the Ikat fabric and I thought I would make a shirt dress with it but then decided I would just make a shirt.  I had a pattern I had used many years ago and so cut out the fabric using that pattern.

It was all going beautifully until I came to the part where it said try the shirt on as you may need to adjust the side seams as the shirt pattern is in a full style.  I tried the shirt on and it literally floated on me.  I knew I would need to do some serious adjustments.  I have obviously changed shape since I last made this shirt and the floppy style is no longer my style.

I had to adjust the  side seams by at least 3 cms on each side seam and that was a huge amount of fabric.  If I use this pattern again I will make it in a smaller size but I think I will probably just buy a new shirt pattern that will be in the modern style.

Updating my patterns

I haven’t bought patterns for myself in a long, long time so when Spotlight had a sale on patterns recently I bought a couple for myself.  This vogue pattern is one of them.

My younger daughter used the pattern to make a top while she was staying here and it looked good so I thought I would give it a go and make myself one.

I made top B but all in one fabric rather than two contrasting fabrics.  I think you really need the two contrasting fabrics to show the make up of the top.

The back is longer than the front and is pleated.

I used a fabric that is a bit too stiff so next time I will make it with a fabric that drapes more easily.  I had bought the fabric as a practice run because the cost was minimal.

Bargain.  I will certainly make it again but with a higher quality fabric.

Sewing for me

I have finally got around to doing some sewing for myself. I find it a bit tricky doing sewing for myself as I have a scoliosis which makes fitting garments a bit tricky.  I have bought a dressmakers dummy in the hope that I will be able to make some changes to the shape of the dummy so that when I make something for myself it will be a better fit than in my past attempts.

The garment I have chosen to make is this one, a very simple straight shift.

I bought some very cheap stretch fabric for my first try.

I was working on the premise that if it didn’t work out it would not be a big waste of money.

I cut out the longer version but when I had finished the garment I actually ended up hemming the shorter version.

The pocket detail.

Overall I am happy with the finished result.  Next time I would make it in a finer fabric as this fabric is quite thick.