Some remedial work in the garden

We have a problem with moss on the so called lawn in our garden and my husband has tried to get rid of the moss but with no success so we have decided to get rid of the lawn instead.This photo gives you an idea of how poor the lawn is so we are making garden beds with pathways instead.

I started out by extending the original beds slightly

and then putting a couple of beds in the middle of the lawn.

I have only cut out the shapes and haven’t done the digging yet on this side of the garden.

This is the other side of the front garden before I started work.

I have managed to get a bit more done on this side. This is it marked out ready for digging.It is tough going as the soil is compacted and full of couch grass roots and moss.  Good exercise for me.

This is what garden websites have to say about couch grass which doesn’t get enough sun or water.

Couch lawn, however, can become straggly, form bare patches and look very poor if it does not receive enough water or nutrients (fertiliser), or is growing in the shade, which is too heavy for the lawn to tolerate.

Couch is also an invasive grass. It will require garden edging to ensure that it doesn’t begin to grow into and overtake garden beds. This is easily done through regular garden maintenance by pulling out any runners which have crept into the garden. It’s when we do not do this regular maintenance that we can begin to find Couch that may have grown excessively into our shrubs and bushes.”

One bed done, three to go.  The pathways will be done in eucalyptus chip so the finished result should be less maintenance for us.  We have ordered soil to top up the beds so they are raised above the level of the pathway.

Replacing the damage done.

I recently bought a few plants to replace some of those plants that were destroyed in the heatwave we had where the temperature was over 40 degrees.  The heat burnt the new growth on many of our plants but some plants were so badly scorched that they died and had to be replaced.

The plants are mainly natives.  You can probably pick out a protea, a waratah, a banksia and a correa.  Unfortunately we also lost our banksia coccinea but I have been unable to get a replacement for that.  I will just need to keep an eye out for one in the future.

We also had to replace some of the plants in our recently planted lilli pilli hedge.

These are the two new plants and the following photos are the plants that did survive with some new growth.

It will be interesting to see if any more new growth happens further up the plants.

On a positive note, the garlic I planted has taken off.

Visitors while gardening

While I was doing some gardening I had a visit from these two feathered friends.  The birds were waiting for me to finish disturbing the compost heap so they could get something to eat.

Because we have a water feature in our garden we have frequent bird visitors, more so during this very dry spell we are having here in Australia.

One cooked garden!

I wrote no posts last week as we were away in Canberra to meet up with our nephew and to visit our son and daughter.  We encountered hot weather while we were there but  apparently it was even hotter here in Metung.  On one day this was the maximum thermometer reading, Off the scale. I guess about 52 degrees.

The result of this scorching day was evident in the garden when we returned home.

The lemon tree had dropped lots of fruit and leaves.The result was the same for the lime tree.The camelias were scorched.Avocado and blueberries also scorched.The lillipilli hedge suffered on all the new growth.

In the front garden we have lost a couple of fairly new proteas and it looks as though the waratah has had the biscuit.   Thankfully many of our natives in the front garden have survived but are a little scorched too.  Our vegetable garden looked like a disaster zone.  Cucumbers and tomatoes were cooked. Let’s hope we have no more days like that again.

The flowers that bloom in the Spring tra la.

This time of year is lovely for flowers to cut for indoor display as well as having a lovely display in the garden.

The irises this year are beautiful.  I split the corms the year before last and so last year we didn’t have many blooms.  This year the blooms are much better.

This dark one is my favourite.

We also have a climbing rose at the front of the driveway.  It really hasn’t done anything for a couple of years but since my husband put in a dripper system on the driveway bed the rose had prospered.  I am hoping it will really take off now.

This little bud is banksia coccinea.  I have posted about it previously.  The bud is taking forever to come out.  I hope it does come out and not remain as a bud and then drop off.  I will certainly post a picture if it eventually blooms.

Look what I have managed to grow

This is the floral emblem of New South Wales.

When we were living in New South Wales I attempted on a couple of occasions to grow waratahs but without any success.  I am now living in Victoria and have at last been able to grow a waratah successfully.

The bush is still only very small but it survived while we were overseas and we were delighted to see that the blooms were ready to open when we got home.

It is a stunning bloom. I hope the bush eventually grows much bigger.

By the way, the floral emblem for the state of Victoria is Common Heath often referred to as Pink Heath.

Here are the other stare and territory floral emblems.