More knitting to use up some left over wool

I have been trying to get rid of some of the numerous left over balls of wool that I have stashed in boxes.  I am slowly diminishing the pile but there is still a way to go.  I think I will need to make a crocheted rug with the small bits of wool that I have. I would like to do one with hexagons rather than squares and I have seen some lovely examples on Pinterest.

Petals to Picots give instructions for joining the hexagons as you go.

Meet Me at Mikes shows you how to crochet a hexagon in ten minutes.

My difficulty would be that I would need to buy wool for the last round of the hexagon and the joining.  I guess I would be getting rid of scraps and I would only buy enough wool to make the rug.

In the meantime I have made a  hot water bottle cover.I also made a crocheted chevron rug for my son but will put that in another post after I have blocked the rug.

 

The promised stormtroopers from Starwars

In a post I wrote a while back I promised I would show you the hot water bottle cover featuring stormtroopers.  Well there was a slight setback in the fact that I knitted the cover, following the grid for the stormtroopers but didn’t realise the stormtroopers were upside down!

IMG_4044I guess you could get away with this if you turn the bottle the other way up but it just didn’t look right to me so I made another cover and this time with the stormtroopers the right way up.

IMG_4043The pattern is from a grid I found on Pinterest.

IMG_4060I used 8ply wool and 4mm needles. The hotwater bottle pattern was from Morris and Sons and the grid is here.

IMG_4061

 

A visit to Morris and Sons in Melbourne and the end result.

When I go to Melbourne a visit to the wool store Morris and Sons is always on my agenda and on my last visit with my daughter we both popped into the shop.  I was going to buy some replacement pins for my Knit Pro needles that had broken.  The shop assistant informed my that if I sent the broken pins to the store I would get replacements for free as they had a lifetime guarantee,  I was thrilled with that.  The pins that had broken were bamboo and I opted to replace them with steel ends as I find I put too much strain on the pins when knitting and if they are fine then the end result is breakage.

While we were in the shop we noticed a lovely hot water bottle cover featuring Kate Davies ‘s Sheep’s Heid pattern.  The pattern was for free so I got one of those to take home.  I didn’t need to buy any wool as I knew I had scraps at home suitable for the pattern.

A very quick knit and this is the end product. Without the bottle and with the bottle.

IMG_3966IMG_3967There was a blank graph sheet that came with the pattern so I am now making a cover that features Stormtroopers from StarWars.  I will let you see it when it is finished.