Thanks to my late nights watching the World Cup Cricket I have managed to get my Shetland wool project finished.I am pleased with the finished product. I made the sleeves longer because usually when I buy a jumper or cardigan the sleeves are too short – these are just right.
This is when I was blocking the cardigan after washing it. I have chosen not to do buttons and buttonholes because I very rarely close a cardigan.
I did have issues with the button band and chose to undo one band and redo it after I found it had wrinkles in it.
This is the first time I have done steekingsince I made a jumper way back in the sixties. I was a teenager then and had no fear about cutting up my knitting. I must admit I was rather hesitant this time. I followed Kate Davies instructions on how to steek and I was delighted with the finished result. Kate has four posts on how to steek and it made the process easy to follow.
A bit blurred but you can see where I have cut the yoke. Next time I will be more careful about the wool colour used in the actual steek stitches.
I was just randomly carrying the wool on the steek but apparently I should have been alternating the colours so there are columns of colour.
I started knitting this jumper after visiting my daughter in Canberra way back in May. The wool is from a frogged jumper and I wrote about it here.
The original piece of knitting was this one which was knitted in 2011.
It was a wrap that could be worn many different ways.
All was going well with the new jumper. I had knitted the main part of the jumper as far as mid abdomen and then I knitted a sleeve to make sure I would have enough wool to finish, if not I would be able to use a similar colour for the band at the bottom of the body. I then tried on the jumper only to find that it was far too big so I unravelled the lot and started again with a smaller size. That is why it has taken so long.
I am now almost finished. I just have to complete the bottom band. I thought I was going to run out of wool and I visited the wool shop to see if they had any similar wool but unfortunately no. I then thought I might have kept some left over wool from when I had knitted the original jumper and I was lucky, there was a ball and a half. I will have enough wool now to finish.
Obviously it is looking a bit crumpled as I still have to block it when finished.
I recently bought a pattern when I was in Stitches ‘n Things buying some buttons for a shirt I was making. The pattern I bought is for a beanie but using Brioche stitch.
The wool I chose to use is Bellissimo St George which is a lovely soft woo/cotton mix.
The reason I say I forgot to put my brain into gear is the issues I had when I started to knit this project. I thought I would be smart and do the beanie on a circular needle, it means you don’t have a joining seam. That was my intention as I cast on the required 90 stitches and proceeded with the pattern. I did two rounds and thought that it wasn’t looking right and so unraveled it and started again. This time I did five rounds and again it was looking nothing like the pattern. I unraveled it and started again. Why I didn’t look at the pattern as to why it wasn’t looking right I have no idea. Brain fade! Again it was hopeless so I stopped and thought about it and realised that because I was working in the round the pattern wasn’t working out as I wasn’t going right side, wrong side with each row of pattern. I should have adapted the pattern but had forgotten to do so.
Now those of you who have knitted anything using Brioche stitch will know that the pattern is complicated
so it would be impossible for me with my amateur skills to adapt the pattern so I just unraveled it again and went to using two needles. Bingo! The knitting now looks like the pattern. I am up to row 10.
I did make reference to my Brioche book when I started this project but didn’t stop to think of the implications of doing the beanie in the round.
I had knitted two garments in the round using Brioche stitch but it was more like Fisherman’s rib and not as complicated as this pattern.
Even though I got the initial rib of the beanie done I then had an issue later in the pattern when I dropped a stitch and there was no way I could pick it up without undoing the row and then I couldn’t pick the stitches up so had to unravel back to the end of the rib. It meant I had to unravel about 5cm of work but I eventually picked up the stitches again. I just became so determined not to let it get the better of me. I did eventually get the beanie finished. I love it when I learn something new.
A friend of my younger daughter asked if I would knit a hat for a baby shower she was invited to. I was delighted to do this for her as I love to have a project on the go and particularly if someone asks me to do it for them.
This is the hat that she asked me to knit. The pattern can be found at this website where there are lovely patterns that you can use to make unusual hats for little ones. This hat took hardly any wool and if you had scraps of the particular colours there would be no need to buy new balls of wool.
Using up the last of the white frogged wool. I am not sure if my granddaughter will want to wear this one. I used dark blue for the contrast because her sister supports Carlton AFL and that is their colours.