A tam o’ shanter (in the British military often abbreviated to TOS) is a name given to the traditional Scottish bonnet worn by men. The name derives from Tam o’ Shanter, the eponymous hero of the 1790 Robert Burns poem.
This definition is taken from Wikipedia but there is also a definition for a tam worn by women.
The tam was a millinery design for women based on the tam o’ shanter military cap and the beret. Sometimes it was also known as a tam cap or the traditional term tam o’shanter might also be used. It became popular in the early 1920s, when it followed the prevailing trends for closer-fitting hats that suited shorter hairstyles and for borrowing from men’s fashion; other traditional men’s hats that rose to popularity in women’s fashion during this period included the top hat and bowler.
You can read more on this on Wikipedia. I think I can be safe in saying it is a tam.
The pattern was taken from this booklet and I used wool which had been frogged from a previous project that no longer fitted.
This little ensemble is for the doll that lives at our house and is used when our granddaughter visits. It was originally to be a birthday present for another granddaughter but that birthday has long gone. I had issues when making this outfit and I blogged about it previously. I started this quite some time ago and have only just finished it. (Cricket is on television). The item on the right of the picture is supposed to be a muffler.
I have yet to come up with a way of closing the front of the jacket. I tried stick-on velcro but is just keeps coming off when you undo the velcro so I will need to think of another method. I guess I could sew on the velcro but I don’t think that would look too neat. Maybe I will use press studs. Any ideas are welcome.
Just trying to use up some of my left-over wool. Unfortunately it doesn’t use much wool so I think I will be making a few.
About thirty years ago I made dolls like these for an orphanage in the Philippines. I came across the pattern when I was having a bit of a tidy up in my work room – that is how I happen to have made them again.These two are not complete. The arms and legs are formed by stitching through the stuffed dolls. You can see that the size varies depending on the type of wool used and the amount of stuffing inserted.
The pattern I used was a hand written one which I must have copied from a book at some stage. The creator of the pattern was Gwen Merrill and I did a search on the internet and found the name of the book on Ravelry
The book is no longer in print but you can find copies on ebay or maybe at your local library.