Something lacy. . . .

On my most recent visit to our younger daughter she brought out some knitting that she had started a while ago but found that she no longer has the time to continue.  I said I would be happy to knit it for her but my knitting tension is different to hers so it meant I had to unravel the bit of knitting that she had done.

I have now got started on the knitting which is from Patons Booklet 1225.

The shrug is knitted in a beautiful teal colour but unfortunately in my photos the colour doesn’t show well in the close-up shot.

I am hoping there will be enough wool as I have no idea where we would find the same wool if more is needed.

I am enjoying doing the lacy part, not so much the endless ribbing.

This has taken longer than expected.

I started knitting this jumper after visiting my daughter in Canberra way back in May.  The wool is from a frogged jumper and I wrote about it here.

The original piece of knitting was this one which was knitted in 2011.

It was a wrap that could be worn many different ways.

All was going well with the new jumper.  I had knitted the main part of the jumper as far as mid abdomen and then I knitted a sleeve to make sure I would have enough wool to finish, if not I would be able to use a similar colour for the band at the bottom of the body. I then tried on the jumper only to find that it was far too big so I unravelled the lot and started again with a smaller size.  That is why it has taken so long.

I am now almost finished.  I just have to complete the bottom band.  I thought I was going to run out of wool and I visited the wool shop to see if they had any similar wool but unfortunately no.  I then thought I might have kept some left over wool from when I had knitted the original jumper and I was lucky, there was a ball and a half.  I will have enough wool now to finish.

Obviously it is looking a bit crumpled as I still have to block it when finished.

It does look good on the dressmaking dummy.

Experience is a great teacher.

Recently I posted about a beanie I made using brioche stitch. You can find the post here.

I had entitled the post “I forgot to put my brain into gear.” I had lots of issues when I knitted that particular beanie but eventually it turned out fine.  I saw some beautiful wool recently when I visited our local wool shop, Stitches ‘n’ Things in Lakes Entrance, and thought I should try my hand at the same beanie but having a bit of experience behind me.

I am pleased to say that I had no problems whatsoever this time.

This is before I started the decreases.  You can see the pattern better when it is flat.

Here is the finished article.

The wool is extremely soft but I am a bit worried that it is going to pill.  It already looks as though it will.

A new cable jumper on the go

While I was in Canberra my younger daughter had a couple of jumpers that she no longer wears and wondered if I would like to re-purpose the wool.  As you can no doubt imagine I was delighted with the idea.  Very kindly she did the bulk of the frogging of the jumpers as my arm is not quite up to doing that just yet.The first lot of wool was from a wrap I made a few years ago and you can read about it here.

She had already chosen a pattern that she would like made up so it was just a case of getting on to Ravelry and buying the pattern to download.

This is a top down jumper and the first time I have knitted a top down.  It is seamless so in a way it is similar to when I knitted the yoke jumper for my elder daughter.

The pattern is Baby cables and Big ones too by Suvi Simola

If you click on the photo above it will take you to the pattern link.The pattern required lots of stitch markers to show where the cable patterns were to be placed.

I have now reached the point where the sleeves are separated from the body.

Now the bulk of the knitting is stocking stitch apart from a cable down the sleeves so it is easy knitting from now on.





A different knitting project

I have been busily working on another knitting project while doing the various swatches for the skull jumper.  I am knitting a cardigan for one of my granddaughters.  The wool is lovely and soft and I am really enjoying knitting with it.  It is a very simple classic cardigan pattern taken from this booklet.

I have just added a little bit of colour with left over wool as a band around the base of the cardigan.  I have knitted this pattern before but I am doing it in the next size up this time.

I just have the band to do now.  I even have the buttons at the ready.