Wool given by my daughter

This is my latest knitting and the pattern I used.My elder daughter gave me some wool that she had not had the time to use and thought that I would be able to put it to use.  I decided to knit some socks for her.  Unfortunately I didn’t quite have enough of the mixed yellow wool so had to use some of a slightly darker shade when I started to decrease for the toe.  It wont be seen inside a shoe or boot so it doesn’t really matter.

I hope she likes the socks.  I still need to finish the second sock.  The pattern book was originally purchased when I used to knit socks for my dad.

All sorts of dolls

Over the years I have made a few dolls for children and grandchildren but I have never knitted a doll.  I borrowed this book from the library.  The picture on the cover attracted my attention.

I have been watching a lot of cricket recently and I like to have some knitting to do while watching the cricket.  I have chosen to knit the doll in the middle of the illustration but have chosen different colours as I am using up scraps of cotton from previous projects.

I have knitted all the pieces for the doll but now comes the part that requires full concentration – joining all the bits together.

The instructions in the book are given in great detail so I should be able to make a good job of it.

 

PDF Patterns and my silly mistake

I have only recently discovered the joys of online downloadable patterns.  The first downloadable pattern I bought from Blueprints for Sewing was the Geodesic sweatshirt.  It was so easy to make up the pattern pieces once the pattern was downloaded.

My second attempt, from a different website, didn’t work out quite so smoothly thanks to my silly mistake. If I hadn’t made the mistake all would have gone smoothly like my previous experience.

I had down loaded the pattern from Hot Patterns for their Fast and Fabulous shirt tail Ts. and the first print I had neglected to check the size square for printing and so the print was incorrect.  The second print was fine until I went to put it together and there was no way the pattern pieces were going to join up correctly.  I tried cutting bits off and realised that wouldn’t work so after much deliberation I discovered that I had ordered the US Letter size pattern and I should have ordered A4.  You can’t adjust the page size on the printer when using a set PDF document.

I contacted the website and they kindly said they would refund the money for the pattern so I could order the correct sized pattern.  Thank you so much.  I was relieved.

I ordered and downloaded the new A4 pattern and was able to print and put it together no trouble at all.  Thank you Hot Patterns for fixing my silly mistake.

 

Second version

This was the first version I made of this particular top.

I have now made a second version but this time it is version A.  I used a teeshirt fabric which was much more flexible/drapey than the previous fabric used, in fact I think it was a bit too flexible so next time I will use a fabric with a structure in between the two.

The neckline was tricky to get to lie flat but my daughter suggested I top stitch it which I think I will now do.

I used a twin needle to finish the hemline.  I will use the twin needle on the neckline too.  In the photo it looks like black thread but it was navy.

A shirt from an old pattern I had used in times long gone

I had bought this fabric when I bought the Ikat fabric and I thought I would make a shirt dress with it but then decided I would just make a shirt.  I had a pattern I had used many years ago and so cut out the fabric using that pattern.

It was all going beautifully until I came to the part where it said try the shirt on as you may need to adjust the side seams as the shirt pattern is in a full style.  I tried the shirt on and it literally floated on me.  I knew I would need to do some serious adjustments.  I have obviously changed shape since I last made this shirt and the floppy style is no longer my style.

I had to adjust the  side seams by at least 3 cms on each side seam and that was a huge amount of fabric.  If I use this pattern again I will make it in a smaller size but I think I will probably just buy a new shirt pattern that will be in the modern style.

Still more sewing

Further to the striped top I posted previously, I had fabric left over so thought I should make use of it rather than consigning it to the stash to lie dormant.

The pattern I used is this one.  View B.  This is one of my new patterns bought at the sale.

It was a lovely easy pattern to make and I am thrilled with the result.  It is a really good fit so I will now make another item from this pattern.

I still have some fabric to make up.

I will let you see what I made with that.  This fabric is linen hence the increased cost.