And the sewing has continued. . . . .

Further to my pattern buying, the next article I made was from this fabric, also bought at a Spotlight sale.

Another puchase that didn’t break the bank but as it is so long since I have done any clothing sewing for me I didn’t want to spend big and then find that it didn’t work out.

I made two items from this piece of fabric. The first item was from an old pattern I already had.

You can see from the graphic that it is an old design.  Until I had finished making the top I didn’t realise how oversized it was.

It is really almost a dress rather than a top.

There is no shaping in this item so it hangs very loose.  I won’t be making this again.  The pattern will now be donated to the thrift shop.

I had fabric left over so I made a second item.  More on that one tomorrow.

Updating my patterns

I haven’t bought patterns for myself in a long, long time so when Spotlight had a sale on patterns recently I bought a couple for myself.  This vogue pattern is one of them.

My younger daughter used the pattern to make a top while she was staying here and it looked good so I thought I would give it a go and make myself one.

I made top B but all in one fabric rather than two contrasting fabrics.  I think you really need the two contrasting fabrics to show the make up of the top.

The back is longer than the front and is pleated.

I used a fabric that is a bit too stiff so next time I will make it with a fabric that drapes more easily.  I had bought the fabric as a practice run because the cost was minimal.

Bargain.  I will certainly make it again but with a higher quality fabric.

Sewing for me

I have finally got around to doing some sewing for myself. I find it a bit tricky doing sewing for myself as I have a scoliosis which makes fitting garments a bit tricky.  I have bought a dressmakers dummy in the hope that I will be able to make some changes to the shape of the dummy so that when I make something for myself it will be a better fit than in my past attempts.

The garment I have chosen to make is this one, a very simple straight shift.

I bought some very cheap stretch fabric for my first try.

I was working on the premise that if it didn’t work out it would not be a big waste of money.

I cut out the longer version but when I had finished the garment I actually ended up hemming the shorter version.

The pocket detail.

Overall I am happy with the finished result.  Next time I would make it in a finer fabric as this fabric is quite thick.