Scraps into little figures

woollen dollsJust trying to use up some of my left-over wool.  Unfortunately it doesn’t use much wool so I think I will be making a few.

About thirty years ago I made dolls like these for an orphanage in the Philippines.  I came across the pattern when I was having a bit of a tidy up in my work room – that is how I happen to have made them again.knitted dolls 2These two are not complete.  The arms and legs are formed by stitching through the stuffed dolls.  You can see that the size varies depending on the type of wool used and the amount of stuffing inserted.

The pattern I used was a hand written one which I must have copied from a book at some stage.  The creator of the pattern was Gwen Merrill and I did a search on the internet and found the name of the book on Ravelry

Family Circle Dolls and Cuddly ToysThe book is no longer in print but you can find copies on ebay or maybe at your local library.


A shirt becomes a shirt. . .recycling

torn shirtMy younger daughter has given me this shirt to turn into a shirt for my granddaughter.  She did give me the shirt quite some time ago but I am only now contemplating making the new shirt.  I am a bit slow off the mark.  I will get it unpicked today and hopefully get it cut out this week and maybe even sewn together.  Who knows what is in store this week.

That was last week when I wrote that.  I did manage to get the shirt unpicked although I cut it rather than unpicking it, much quicker.

I was also able to get all the pieces cut out so I should get it sewn this week.  There was fabric left over which I have set aside for some future quilting.

An update: I can now say that the shirt is almost finished.  I just have to make the buttonholes and sew on the buttons.

The pattern I used was the same one I used when I made this shirt previously, also from a dad shirt.

Final update, the shirt is finished.

finished shirt

The Victoria and Albert Museum. . . . . . Tuesday Travels

The first year we visited London in 2003 we were only there for a few days and we managed to cram lots of tourist activities into that time.  One of the museums that we didn’t manage to visit was the V&A so I put that to right this time around.  While based in Swindon I caught the train to London and found my way to the museum without any bother.

I had allocated the full day to the museum as I knew I would need it.  I was certainly not disappointed that I had allowed that much time.  The museum has so much to see and the only disappointment was that the furniture gallery was closed for the day and that was one of the galleries I was interested in viewing.  I will need to make a return visit one day!

One of the exhibitions that was being held was Undressed – a brief history of underwear.

UndressedThe exhibition was inclusive of dress as well as underwear so there was a great deal to see.

The cast courts you can read about here if you click on the picture.  Amazing that some of these casts are the only life size replicas of items that have been damaged or destroyed.

plaster galleryTrajan's Column AD 113The Hereford Screen is a wonderful example of the restoration work done for the museum. Hereford ScreenExamples of the state of the parts of the screen before restoration were on display.

pre-restorationThe theatre and performance galleries were a delight to browse through.  I loved that I was able to see a model of the scenery for the musical Matilda and the costume for the lead singer of Adam and the Ants.

MatildaAdam's costumeAdam and the AntsIt was great to see a nod to a part of Melbourne in the architecture section.Nice to see a bit about Melbourne! In the glassware gallery some Iittalia glassware which was very popular around the time we were married.  We still have two sets of glasses intact.

Iittalia glasswareI finished off my trip with lunch in the cafe.  It was a beautiful day and many families were enjoying the sunshine in the courtyard.

V&AWhen in London a visit to the V&A is a must on your list.

The sky is falling in. . . .

Not really but the ceiling was falling down.

portico ceilingOur carport was suffering from a sagging cornice and I tried to repair it.  The trouble was that it couldn’t be repaired by me!

missing corniceIn this photo you can see where an exploratory cut was made to see what the problem was.  The result of that was the 4×2 lengths screwed to the ceiling to prevent it from imminent collapse.  We had no idea that the ceiling had come adrift from the battens.  Thankfully it didn’t fall down and we are now in the process of getting the ceiling replaced.

plasterboardTwo days ago the ceiling was taken down and new plasterboard installed.

plasterboard 2The following day the joints were plastered to be followed by sanding and the cornices installed.

cornices ceiling upThe next task will be the electrician to install new lights then we are getting a painter for the first time in our married lives!  I am usually the one who does the painting, in fact I have painted this ceiling and beams once since we moved here but we are getting a professional this time.  We are looking forward to the finished product.


Tah dah!!

denim recycledWhen I looked back to when I first posted about this chair and my plans for it, I discovered it was way, way back in November 2014, that is almost two years ago.

If you look at that post you will see that I did say it was a long term project but I hadn’t envisaged it being that long!

denim chairPlenty of pockets for bits and pieces.

the final piece addedThe back piece was the final piece added.  Now it just needs to find its way to Canberra.