I have been doing a little bit of sewing recently as a birthday present for our youngest granddaughter. Her mum suggested a Red Riding Hood cape as a present so that is what I have been making. The pattern I used was this one but unfortunately it is not in the size required so I had to do a bit of guesswork in where to cut the pattern pieces to adjust for our granddaughter’s size. No big problem as it all worked out ok.
The fabric was inexpensive but when I went to buy trim I was astounded at the prices. If I had bought the trim I liked it would have been more expensive than the fabric. In the end I found two rolls of ribbon in the bargain basket and was able to use that. I think it looks fine. I also needed a frog clasp for the neckline. Unfortunately Spotlight, our haberdashery store, didn’t have any frogs so I am stuck on that point until I think of some other method of closing the neckline. (Update) I remembered that I had bought a couple of frog closures at a closing down sale many, many moons ago so I went for a rifle in my sewing box and sure enough there they were. The only problem is they were white, not the black I wanted. I decided to use them anyway and my daughter can change them if she wants to later on.
2 Comments Add yours
A lovely cape, and I’m sure there will be many fun play sessions had in it!
And apparently it was just the right size.